Lucknowi Chicken Biryani – Pakki Biryani
There are a variety of recipes for Chicken Biryani in India. However, there are two major concepts of making chicken biryani in India. One is the Kachchi Biryani, the way Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is cooked; and the other is the Pakki Biryani, which is the awadhi style. The biryani recipe shared below is by Chef Vineet Bhatia aired on Fox History channel in an episode of Twist of Taste. The dish is yummy and has an entirely different flavor. Hope you the pakki biryani also called the Lucknowi Chicken Biryani!!
Recipe – Lucknowi Chicken Biryani
30 minutes for preparation, 35 minutes for cooking
- 500 grams boneless chicken
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 medium onions
- 1 1/2 tomatoes
- 8-9 flakes garlic
- 1 inch ginger cube
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 mace (javetri)
- 1 nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 cup maida
- 1 teaspoon posta
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4-5 kaju pieces
- 7-8 kismiss pieces
- Peel the garlic pieces and crush 4 flakes roughly.
- Marinade the boneless chicken pieces with lemon juice, salt, crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon red chili powder for 15 minutes.
- You can also use the chicken with bones if you prefer them like me.
- Chop the onions into thin slices.
- Crush ginger and the remaining 5-6 flakes of garlic together.
- It is better to use the fresh ginger and garlic rather than using the ginger garlic paste.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Add water to a pan just the 2.5 times the amount of rice and let the water come to a boil.
- Add turmeric powder, mace, crushed nutmeg, cumin seeds, salt and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Let it boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the soaked rice to the water and let it get 70 percent boiled.
- Remove the rice on a colander and keep aside.
- Make a hard dough of maida and salt and keep aside. We will use this for sealing the bowl to cook the biryani.
- To the frying pan add ghee and let heat.
- Now add the sliced onions and cook for a few minutes until pinkish in color.
- Add the crushed ginger and garlic and saute for next 2-3 minutes. Now, its time to add the spices that will give the lovely flavor to the chicken biryani.
- Add the garam masala, coriander powder, jaifal powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder and mix well.
- Let cook on low flame for 1 more minute.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and let cook until the tomatoes are nearly cooked.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Let the chicken get cooked upto nearly 60-70 percent.
- Now, take a bowl and layer the chicken first alternating with the rice.
- Sprinkle dry fruits on the top and cover it to seal it using the maida dough prepared.
- You can also sprinkle posta seeds, white sesame seeds over the maida dough along with little butter.
- This gives an awesome taste to the covering layer too and tastes real good; a complimentary with the Lucknowi Chicken Biryani.
- Place the bowl in the oven and let cook at 150 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave the bowl in the oven, and let the oven cool.
- You are now ready to serve the hot and delicious Lucknowi Chicken Biryani!!
Lucknowi Chicken Biryani,