Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani is a delicious and an easy chicken recipe. The whole game of the dish is timing. The more you are accurate with the timings, the better is the yield. The dish is called Dum Biryani because it is cooked with its own juices. It is also known as Hyderabadi Kachchi Biryani, because raw (kachcha) ingredients are added to it and cooked in its own juices under pressure. Hope you enjoy this recipe !!
Recipe – Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
15 minutes for preparation, 8 hours for marination, 30-40 minutes for cooking
- 1 kilogram chicken
- 1 large piece onion
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 150 grams yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon brown cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (shahi jeera)
- 5 cloves
- 4 – 1 inch cnnamon
- 2 black cardamom
- 10 green cardamom
- 1/2 mace (javetri)
- 1 nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 2 bay leafs
- 3-4 red chilies
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 pinch edible red oil
- Salt as per taste
- 5-6 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- Cut chicken into medium pieces. Clean the chicken properly and dry with a towel.
- Cut the onion, chili, and garlic roughly. Crush the nutmeg into small pieces.
- Now add onion, ginger garlic paste, garlic, green chilies, salt, yogurt, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin seeds, black cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, 6 green cardamom, mace, crushed nutmeg, bay leaf, red chili, coriander leaves, mint leaves and oil.
- Mix everything very well. I generally prefer to put them in a plastic strip bag and mix it well but rubbing the chicken and the marinade in the plastic. Keep the chicken for marination for next 8 hours.
- Soak your rice in water for nearly 30 minutes before cooking. Soak the earthen pot in water for nearly 1 hour before cooking.
- There are two ways to cook the biryani, firstly using a cooker and secondly using a earthen pot (haandi). Will be explaining in both the ways here. Boil water in a pan till bubbling, add salt as per taste (remember you have added salt in marinade too), 4 green cardamom, 2 cloves, and 1 tablespoon ghee. When the water is bubbling add the soaked rice to it. Let the water bubble again and you will see the rice grains dancing. Switch off the stove and sieve off the rice from the boiling water.
- Now to the cooker or haandi, add 1 tablespoon ghee and layer the chicken marinade first and then the rice. Mix the edible red color in 4-5 droplets of water.
- With the help of a spoon pour the color on the rice. Now cover the cooker or haandi with aluminium foil tight enough so that the steam does not leak.
Now comes the real game of cooking. Will explain both the steps of pressure cooker and haandi separately here.
- In case you are using a pressure cooker, it is advisable to use a rolled chapatti and seal it along the cooker with dough rather than aluminium foil, because if the steam leaks out, the biryani will burn at the base.
- Place the cooker on lowest flame possible on the gas stove. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Now increase the flame to medium for 15 minutes. Let it again simmer for 5 minutes and remove from flame.
- Let the biryani remain in the cooker for 5 minutes. Remove the covering from the top and serve the biryani hot with pineapple raita.
- In case you are using a haandi, place the filled handi with aluminium foil cover on the gas at lowest flame possible and cook for 20 minutes.
- Now, increase the flame to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and leave the biryani alone for 15 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil and you are ready to serve the Hyderabadi Dum Biryani with Pineapple Raita.
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani,