Aaloo Dum – Delicious Potatoes
The delicious and spicy Aaloo Dum, is famous in Kolkata and its suburbs. However, aaloo dum has made its stand in one of the best potato recipes throughout India. The dish is easy to prepare and is best when served with luchi (bengali pooris) or with lachcha paratha. Hope you enjoy the delicious recipe of Aaloo Dum!!
Recipe – Aaloo Dum
15 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 15-16 baby potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 green chili
- 1 inch ginger cube
- 5-6 garlic flakes
- 6-7 coriander strands
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- 3-4 almonds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Pierce the baby potatoes with a fork 2-3 times so that there are holes in the potatoes in a number of places.
- This will help the potatoes to be easily cooked and also the absorb the spices well.
- Slice the onion, tomatoes, green chili, garlic and ginger into fine pieces.
- Beat yogurt and keep aside.
- Roast cashew nuts and almonds. Let them cool and grind them into a fine paste.
- Cut the coriander leaves into small pieces.
- To the pan add 1 tablespoon oil and let heat.
- Add the pierced baby potatoes to the pan.
- Saute them and let them fry till the potato skin starts changing color. Once done, remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil in the pan and let heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the bay leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Now add the sliced onions.
- Sprinkle some salt and mix well.
- Let it cook for some time until the onions start turning reddish in color.
- Now add the chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger and cook for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the tomatoes now. Let cook until the tomatoes are completely cooked.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and garam masala to the dish.
- Cook until oil starts oozing from the curry prepared.
- Now add the fried potatoes to the gravy and mix well.
- Let cook for another 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add yogurt now and mix well into the gravy. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the paste of cashew nuts and almonds and mix well. Let cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste if required, remember salt was also added when frying the onions.
- Add water if you require more gravy. Let the whole mixture come to a boil.
You are now ready to serve Aaloo Dum garnished with coriander leaves with hot luchi or lachcha paratha.